Treat yourself or your loved ones to this special dish – Benedictine crab cakes topped with avocado relish and a poached egg. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or brunch!
INGREDIENTS of Crab Cakes Benedict
For the crab cakes
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, or gluten-free panko
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-3 dashes tabasco sauce
- 8 oz 2 small ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced small
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
Also Read: Zucchini And Banana Oatmeal Cups
INSTRUCTIONS of Crab Cakes Benedict
For the crab cakes:
- Place crabmeat in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients Add the yogurt mixture to the crabmeat and mix gently, do not mix too much.
- Make 6 to 3 1/2 inch cakes, refrigerate 1 hour or as long as overnight.
For the avocado relish:
- Gently mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature.
For poached eggs:
- Break the eggs into small cups or individual ramekins. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the vinegar and salt. Reduce to simmer. Use a spoon to stir the water so that it turns in circles.
- This will prevent the egg whites from spreading away from the yolk. Carefully place the eggs one by one in the center of the pot.
- Simmer 2 minutes then turn off the heat. Cover and let stand 2 more minutes.
- Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate covered with paper towel.
- Spray the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Bake the crab cakes for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until they are hot and lightly browned. Place a cake on each of the 6 plates.
- Gently mix the avocado relish and place a bunch of bunch on each crab meal.
- Garnish with a poached egg and garnish with cilantro.