Chock-full of antioxidants, eggplant is a great addition to your diet, but do you often wonder if there are exciting ways to prepare it? here is a cream of eggplant soup that your family will slurp up delightedly. With onions and tomatoes for flavour, and basil for a herbed touch, not to forget the irreplaceable dash of pepper, this soup is a sumptuous start to your meal.
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 25 mins Total Time: 35 mins Makes 4 servings
1 large brinjal (baingan / eggplant)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves , torn into pieces
1/2 cup cheese spread
salt to taste
2 tbsp grated processed cheese
1 cup milk
- Pierce the brinjal using a fork and roast in an open flame or till it turns soft from inside and a little charred on the outside. Peel, chop and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the red chilli flakes, pepper and tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the basil, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the brinjal, cheese spread, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add the cheese and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the purée back into a deep pan, add the milk and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||288.6 mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.4 mg||3%|
|Vitamin C||14.5 mg||36%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||20 mcg||10%|