This much loved European vegan recipe has all of the ingredients that make a carbonara great; ‘bacon’ pieces created from shiitake mushrooms, creamy sauce made with almond milk, nutritional yeast and lots of veggies and it even has parmesan cheese made from hemp hearts and nutritional yeast.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 4 bacon rashers rindless sliced
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 300 ml cream
- 1 egg beaten
- 250 g fettuccine cooked
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, then saute the onion and garlic until tender.
- Add bacon and cook until it begins to brown, then stir in mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Blend in wine and cream, bring to the boil and reduce heat, simmer until it starts to thicken.
- Blend in egg, salt and pepper, stirring constantly, simmering for 30 seconds.
- Stir through cooked pasta.
- Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.