Pesto, a sauce made of nuts and herbs is made richer here by the addition of spinach, which gives it a vibrant colour, unique flavour and creamier texture too. Along with olive oil and cheese, it makes a great home for perfectly cooked fusilli. Kids are sure to enjoy this Creamy Pesto Pasta for lunch, as it stays good in the tiffin box for at least 4 hours. However, you must take care not to cook after adding the pesto. It is important to pack it in a slightly moist consistency, so that it does not dry up too much and turn lumpy when it cools down. Cheese and Vegetable Sticks will make a good combo with the pasta, so do pack some in another tiffin.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 2 servings
For The Pesto
1/2 cup chopped basil
1 cup chopped spinach (palak)
1/2 cup whole walnuts (akhrot)
1 tbsp roughly chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/4 cup cheese cubes
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp roughly chopped green chillies
salt to taste
2 cups cooked fusilli
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grated processed cheese for sprinkling
For the pesto
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the basil and spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Drain and refresh it with cold water and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, combine all the ingredients in a mixer and blend to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the fusilli and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared pesto, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
How to pack
- Allow it to cool completely, and pack it with the cheese sprinkled on top in an air-tight tiffin box.