Creme Brulee seems like a dessert that a lot of people don’t realize they can make at home. It’s a staple of restaurants – it must be temperamental and difficult, right? Nope! There is no agitation on the stove, no need for a blender. No ingredients or specialized tools are involved.
INGREDIENTS of Crème Brûlée
- 2 cups heavy or light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar, more for topping
How To Make Crème Brûlée
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, vanilla pod and salt and cook over low heat until hot. Let sit for a few minutes, then discard the vanilla pod.
- In a bowl, beat the yolks and sugar until they are light. Add about a quarter of the cream to this mixture, then pour the sugar-egg mixture into the cream and stir.
- Pour into four 6-ounce ramekins and place the ramekins in an ovenproof dish; fill the dish with boiling water halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until centers are just set. Cool completely. Refrigerate for several hours and up to a few days.
- When ready to serve, garnish each cream with about a teaspoon of sugar in a thin layer. Place the ramekins in a grill 2 to 3 inches from the heat source.
- Light the grill.
- Cook until sugar melts and browns or even darkens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Serve within two hours.