Crepes Mexicana: Easy but awesome – that describes this baked dish best of all. This unique creation features crepes with a Mexican filling. A flavourful and succulent cottage cheese mixture joins hands with chunky uncooked salsa and mealy refried beans to make a fabulous filling for the crepes.
Simple ingredients are mixed and matched to give a classic, memorable flavour. The cheesy mouth-feel and herby aroma of the Crepes Mexicana are sure to etch a lasting memory. Serve this baked dish hot and fresh with a crunchy garnish of spring onion greens.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Baking time: 10 minutes Baking temperature: 200ºC (400ºF) Total Time: Makes 5 crepes
3/4 cup refried beans
5 tsp uncooked salsa
For The Cottage Cheese Mixture
1/4 cup crumbled paneer (cottage cheese)
1 tbsp oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped zucchini
1/4 cup boiled sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) to taste
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For The Baking
1/2 tbsp milk for brushing
1/2 cup grated processed cheese
For The Garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
For the cottage cheese mixture
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the paneer, zucchini, corn, dried oregano, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Divide the refried beans into 5 portions. Keep aside.
- Place a crepe on a clean, dry surface and place a portion of the beans on one side of the crêpe.
- Put one portion of the cottage cheese mixture evenly over it.
- Put 1 tsp of salsa on top of the refried beans.
- Roll it up tightly.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 4 more crêpes.
- Arrange the crepes in a baking dish.
- Brush the crepes with milk.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake in a hot oven at 200°c (400°f) for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with spring onion greens.
|Value per crepe||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||241 mcg||5%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.2 mg||20%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.2 mg||10%|
|Vitamin C||5.5 mg||14%|
|Vitamin E||0.1 mg||1%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||72.4 mcg||36%|