This is Chinese pork belly, just like you get from the Chinese BBQ meat shops! The skin is fantastically crunchy and stays so for hours. The meat is juicy and flavorful too. The pork slices cleanly. This is just such an easy and almost fool-proof recipe too. This pork belly is such a thing of beauty and definitely a recipe I’m going to make for a party soon.
Ingredients of Crispy Pork Belly
- 1 pork belly, skin on
- 1 1/2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 200 g rock salt
How To Make Crispy Pork Belly
- Take skewer and prick holes in the skin. Now turn the pork belly upside down.
- Rub the flesh with Chinese cooking wine and Sprinkle over five spice powder, salt and pepper.
- Turn skin side up and place in a container and Refrigerate uncovered for 12 hours.
- Remove pork from fridge and place onto a large sheet of foil. Fold up sides of foil around the pork to enclose it snugly (see photos in post or video) with a 1.5cm / 2/5″ rim above the pork skin (to hold salt in).
- Put pork to baking tray and dab skin with paper towels and brush skin with vinegar.
- Spread salt on the skin and roast them 60 min.
- Remove pork from oven and
- Switch to grill on medium and move shelf so it is at least 25cm/10″ from the heat source.
- Fold down foil and scrape all the salt off the top and sides and Place under grill/broiler for 20 – 25 minutes, rotating tray once, until skin is golden, crispy and puffed.
Remove pork onto board. Slice them and Serve with ordinary yellow mustard.