A classic French snack! ‘Croque’ means crunchy and ‘Monsieur’ means mister in French. This ham and cheese sandwich is a great breakfast or late night snack option.
INGREDIENTS of Croque Monsieur
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- Sea salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 1/3-inch-thick slices country bread(not sourdough or whole wheat)
- 4 thin slices French ham
- 2 thin slices Gruyere cheese
Also Read: Vegetable Spring Roll
PREPARATION of Croque Monsieur
- Preheat an electric hot plate to two degrees on medium to high for about 20 minutes, or preheat the oven to 300 degrees and preheat a cast iron skillet on top of the stove for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare a béchamel sauce: in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. When the bubbles have subsided, add the flour and whisk vigorously for 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and seasoned with salt and nutmeg.
- Generously spread two slices of bread with sauce. Place two slices of ham on each and garnish each with a slice of cheese; the ham and cheese should slightly overlap the edges of the bread.
- Top each with a slice of bread. In a small saucepan, melt the rest of the 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Brush the sandwiches on both sides with butter, making sure the edges are well covered. If using a hot plate, place the cheese down, close the hot plate, and bake until the bread is toasted and the cheese is leaking and bubbling.
- If using a pan, place the sandwiches side cheese down and bake on the stove until they are golden brown, then flip and fry.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until heated through and the cheese is bubbling. Serve hot.