This colourful soup is a good way to combine dal and vegetables, giving your little one the combined benefits of protein from dal and iron, folic acid, vitamin A and fibre from vegetables. Since this soup uses naturally flavourful veggies, you do not need any spices in this soup. Plus, the unique garnish of crumbled paneer adds to the taste and nutrition content of this Dal and Vegetable Soup.
Serve it lukewarm with whole wheat bread sticks and watch your baby dip them into the soup and munch them with relish.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 1 cup
1 tbsp green moong dal (split green gram) , washed and drained
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 tbsp chopped spinach (palak)
restricted quantity of salt
For The Garnish
1 tbsp crumbled paneer (cottage cheese)
whole wheat bread sticks
- Combine all the ingredients along with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- When cooled, blend it in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the purée into a broad non-stick pan and add the salt. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Dal and Vegetable Soup is ready. Garnish with paneer and serve lukewarm with whole wheat bread sticks.
- If cow pea leaves are not available, you can use spinach instead. If your baby likes cheese, you can also add half slice of cheese to this soup.
Nutrient values for 1 cup
|Invisible Fat||0.4 gm|
|Vitamin A||983.3 mcg|
|Folic Acid||43.5 mcg|