This is the traditional and popular Rajasthani recipe. Here bati or baati is made from whole wheat flour and cooked over coal. But at home we will be baking into the oven. Or you can use gas tandoor.
Ingredients of Dal Bati (Teej Special)
• Chana Dal/split Bengal Gram – ¼ Cup
• Arhar Dal/ Pigeon Peas Split – 1/4 Cup
• Moong Dal/split Green Gram – ¼ Cup
• Urad Dal/split Black Lentils – ¼ Cup
• Urad Dal Chilka/black Gram Skinned – ¼ Cup
• Salt To Taste
• Ghee Or Oil – 3 Tbsp
• Cloves – 4-5
• Bay Leave – 1
• Dried Red Chili – 2
• Green Cardamom – 2
• Black Cardamon – 2
• Cinnamon Stick – 1
• Cumin Seeds – 1 Tsp
• Red Or Green Chillies, Chopped – 1
• A Pinch Of Asafetida
• Ginger-Garlic, Crushed – 2 Tbsp
• Onions, Finely Chopped – 1
• Tomatoes, Finely Chopped – 2
• Coriander Powder – 2 Tsp
• Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Tsp
• Chilli Powder – 2 Tsp
• Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 Tsp
• Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp
• Whole Wheat Flour – 1 1/4 Cup
• Semolina – 1/2 Cup
• Yogurt – ½ Cup
• Baking Powder – ½ Tsp
• Oil/ Ghee – 4 Tbsp
• Salt To Taste
• Ghee For Dipping
• For Serving:
• Dried Rose Petals
• Melted Ghee – 1/4 Cup
• Onions, Cucumber, Tomato
• Lemon Juice
Also Read: Low-Fat Tiramisu Italian Cake
- Wash all dals and add them to a pressure cooker. Add salt and 5 cups of water and turmeric powder. Cook under pressure for 4-5 whistles.
- Allow the steam.
- Heat the oil / ghee in a saucepan. Add the cloves, dried red pepper, green cardamom, black cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and asafetida. Sauté for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crack, add the onion and chopped peppers. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic paste to the ginger. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili pepper and garam masala with 3 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Add a little salt, if necessary.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Add this soaking to the cooked dal and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Keep aside. Dal is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° C / 350. Add the wheat flour, semolina, ghee, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well and add yogurt. Mix well to knead into a semi-firm dough.
- Use 5-6 tablespoons or more of hot water, if necessary.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal portions and form each portion into a ball.
- Flatten the ball, make a small notch in the center of the dough balls with your thumb. Set aside.
- Place the baatis in a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top turns golden.
- Use a cloth and press lightly with your palm.
- Don’t press so hard, we just want to break them lightly.
- Soak the cracked ghee for a few seconds and drain on paper towels.
- Keep aside. The Baatis are ready.