I really love this plum upside down cake served with crème fraîche or Greek yoghurt, but vanilla ice cream or whipped cream would go equally well.
Ingredients Of Damson plum upside-down cake
- 140g of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g of light brown sugar
- 15 plum , halved and destoned
- blueberries or blackberries
- 125g of self-raising flour
- 40g of groung almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 85g of caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 120g of milk
- crème fraîche, whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
Also Read: Gluten-free lemon drizzle cake
Method Of Damson plum upside-down cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
2. Place 55 g of butter in a frying pan or a 23 cm baking pan.
3. Place the pan in the oven and let stand until the butter has melted. Remove the pan and swirl the butter so that it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle over the brown sugar and place the plums on the sugar in a single airtight layer, skin side up. If desired, fill in the gaps with blackberries or blueberries.
4. Now prepare the dough. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the remaining butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light, then add the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the eggs, beat until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla and almond extract.
5. Add the remaining milk and dry ingredients to the mixture and mix with a spatula until well blended. Distribute the dough evenly over the plums. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (this will take about 50 to 60 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes
6. Using a knife, cut the sides of the pan to loosen the cake. Place a plate on top of the cake pan and then invert the cake. Let it sit with the pan again for 5 minutes, then gently lift the pan. Serve the hot cake with whipped cream.