Date Pancakes: Here’s an interesting twist that makes pancakes healthy! Rather than refined flour, we have used whole wheat flour to make the pancakes, and served them with a stuffing of dates, raisins and nuts.
The stuffing gives a wonderfully succulent mouth-feel and natural sweetness to the whole wheat pancakes, making it a delicacy to savour!
The Dates Pancake is low in salt, and also loaded with nutrients like iron from dates and omega-3 fatty acids from walnuts, which makes it a good dish for those with high blood pressure.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 6 pancakes
For The Pancakes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
a pinch of salt
1 tsp low-fat melted butter for greasing and cooking
To Be Mixed Into A Stuffing
1/2 cup chopped dates (khajur)
2 tbsp chopped raisins (kismis)
2 tbsp chopped walnuts (akhrot)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (dalchini) powder
a pinch of nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
For the pancakes
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and 1¼ cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with a little melted butter.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter over it and cook using very little melted butter till it turns light brown in colour.
- Turn the pancake around and cook on the other side as well.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make 5 more pancakes. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Divide the stuffing into 6 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Place a pancake on a clean dry surface, put a portion of the stuffing on one side of the pancake and fold to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat step 2 to stuff 5 more pancakes.
- Serve immediately.
|Value per pancake||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||20.3 mcg||0%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.6 mg||5%|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||4.8 mcg||2%|