If you like Thai food, you probably already know about the drunk noodles or the pad kee mao. There are a few theories about the origin of the name, but the most common explanation is simple: these noodles are perfect after a night of drinking with friends.
Ingredients of DRUNKEN NOODLES
- Vegetable oil
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cubed and dried
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons roasted red chile paste
- 1 teaspoon black soy sauce or 3/4 teaspoon soy sauce sweetened with 1/4 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 large jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red Thai bird chile, minced
- 1/2 pound pad thai rice noodles, cooked and cut in half crosswise
- Thai basil leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
Also Read: Hungarian Nut Rolls
How to Make DRUNKEN NOODLES
- Step 1 In a non-stick pan, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Add the tofu and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until crisp, 5 minutes. Drain.
- Stage 2 In a bowl, whisk broth, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chili paste, soy sauce and sugar.
- Stage 3 In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, garlic and Thai pepper and sauté over high heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the noodles and sauté until golden, 4 minutes.
- Stage 4 Add the sauce and mix over moderately high heat until absorbed. Stir in 1 cup of basil and tofu. Garnish with more basil and serve with lime wedges.