This whipped spelt bread is called “whipped” because you beat the dough at high speed for fermentation and the resulting bread is full of flavor. The flavor of this bread outweighs the geeky desire to get lots of holes in the crumb of my loaves. Spelt has a wonderful nutty flavor and produceds an pretty soft crumb.
- COOK TIME: 35 minutes
- TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
INGREDIENTS of WHIPPED SPELT BREAD
- 840 grams of bread flour
- 160 grams of whole spelt flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 20 grams salt
- 800 grams water
How to Make WHIPPED SPELT BREAD
- Add all of the ingredients into the bowl and stir with spatula.
- Mix the dough at high speed in your mixer until the dough clears the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator overnight.
- In morning remove the dough and let it sit for four hours.
- Oil and flour and scrape the dough onto a floured surface and cut it in half.
- Form the two pieces into balls by folding the “sides” over the middle, and transfer the dough to the two different bowls.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until almost doubled.
- Prepare the oven with a broiler pan on the bottom rack, and a baking stone on the next highest rack and preheat the oven to 480 degree.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil, When the loaves are ready, turn them out onto the parchment lined peel, slash them with knife, and slide them, parchment and all, onto the baking stone.
- Add the boiling water to the pan. Immediately close the oven door and bake for 10 minutes.
- Bake the loaves for 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least an hour.