The Egg Roll is a unique and tasty recipe, in which the cooked rotis is garnished with a mixture of eggs, cooked again, then wrapped in the most delicious assortment of onions, vegetables and sauces. With an amazing blend of textures and flavors, the Egg Roll is sure to appease young and old. It can be taken for breakfast or as a mid-day snack. It will also be popular with children, but you may want to reduce the amount of hot peppers for them. You can even pack it in the dabba tiffin because it stays good for 3 hours.
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Total Time: 35 mins Makes 4 rolls
For The Rotis
3/4 cup plain flour (maida)
1 tbsp soft butter
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
8 tsp oil brush (for greasing) and cooking
To Be Mixed Into An Onion Mixture
1 cup thinly sliced onions
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
ground black pepper (kalimirch)
2 tsp oil brush (for greasing)
40 thin cucumber strips
8 tsp tomato ketchup
4 tsp chilli sauce
For the rotis
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Knead in a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and set aside 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll part of the dough into 175 mm. (7 ”) in diameter. Don’t use flour to roll.
- Heat a non-stick tava (hot plate), grease it with 1 teaspoon of oil, place the rolled circle on it and cook with 1 teaspoon of oil until it turns brown spots appear from both sides.
- Do not cook until it is crisp or it will be difficult to roll.
- Repeat step 3 to make 3 additional rotis. Set aside.
How to proceed
- Crack an egg in a small bowl, add a little salt and pepper and whisk well with a fork.
- Heat a non-stick tava (hot plate), grease it with ½ teaspoon of oil, pour the egg mixture over it and immediately place the cooked roast on it.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, flip and cook over medium heat for an additional 1 minute. Transfer to a clean, dry surface, egg side up.
- Put the ¼ of the onion mixture, spread it horizontally and 10 strips of cucumber on it.
- Spread evenly 2 tsp. tomato ketchup and 1 tsp chili sauce.
- Roll it up firmly on both sides. Place the egg roll on a rectangular butter paper and wrap one side with it.
- Repeat steps 1 to 6 to make 3 additional egg rolls. Serve immediately.
|Value per roll||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||526.7 mcg||11%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.2 mg||18%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.7 mg||6%|
|Vitamin C||7.9 mg||20%|
|Vitamin E||0.6 mg||4%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||49.3 mcg||25%|