This easy recipe for classic British Flapjacks is a simple treat that can be prepared by anyone, from amateur bakers to seasoned professionals.
INGREDIENTS of English Flapjack
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup*
- 2 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned)
- Pinch of salt
- Also Read: English Trifle
PREPARATION of English Flapjack
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Butter an 8 x 8 x 2 inch metal pan.
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until the butter melts, the sugar dissolves and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat. Add oats and salt, stir until coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread in an even layer.
- Cook until top is golden (edges will be darker), about 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 4 squares, cut each into 4 triangles (the mixture will still be soft).
- Let cool completely in the pan before serving.