“I made this up one day out of things I had on hand, and it turned out to be one of my favorite sandwiches ever. Sauteed zucchini pieces are coated with a zesty marinara sauce and topped with a generous helping of mozzarella cheese. These baked sandwiches are a great vegetarian version of the Italian grinder. They can also be made ahead of time, and heated just before serving.”
Cheesy, zesty, Italian sandwiches!
Ingredients of Fabulous Zucchini Grinders (Italian)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Medium Zucchini, Cubed
- ¾ cups Sliced Pepperoni
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup Marinara Sauce
- 4 (6 Inch) French Or Italian Sandwich Rolls, Split
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Also Read: Eggless Pineapple Pastry
Preparation of Fabulous Zucchini Grinders (Italian)
- Preheat the oven 175 degrees C. Melt the butter in a pan.
- Fry the zucchini in the butter until golden and slightly tender.
- Add the pepperoni. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and stir in the marinara sauce. Cook and stir until the sauce is hot.
- Pour a generous amount of the zucchini mixture into each sandwich. Garnish with a handful of grated mozzarella.
- Close the rollers and wrap them individually in aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until the bread is hot and the cheese is melted. * I used 1 large French bread instead of the 6 inch rolls.
- Once cooked, I cut it into portion-size pieces. Absolutely fabulous!