Traditionally these tarts are made with pastry and filled with a jam. The most popular shape for these Joulutorttu is the star design.
Ingredients of FINNISH PINWHEEL COOKIES
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheese
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Cranberry Port Preserves
- Confectioners’ sugar
How to Make FINNISH PINWHEEL COOKIES
- Pour flour, cold butter, and salt in food processor and mix until mixture is crumbly.
- Add ricotta and milk, and pulse until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into equal portions.
- Give shape into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap for overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll dough to ⅛-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a square cutter, cut dough, and place on prepared pans.
- On each square, make 4 cuts at corners diagonally toward center.
- Place 1 teaspoon Cranberry Port Preserves or any sweet sauce in center of each cookie.
- Fold every other tip over toward center, make a pinwheel.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Decorate with confectioners’ sugar.