French fries recipe – we love French fries. who doesn’t !!!
Let me tell you, these homemade fries are very similar to the ones we get at McDonald’s or any other fast food chain. These chips are crisp and soft on the inside and taste too good.
I had received a few recipe requests to post fries. When I make French fries at home, I simply chop the potatoes, rub a little salt in and fry them straight away. Potatoes aren’t perfectly crispy like McDonald’s fries – but for all of us, these quick and easy to prepare homemade fries are just right for us.
When I received the requests, I searched the web for the perfect fries in many recipes. I ran into a lot and they all tell me to steam the potatoes first and then fry them not once but twice at different temperatures.
Being a busy woman now, I can’t afford to spend a lot of my time cooking the potatoes, then chilling them, then frying them, chilling them and frying them again.
This recipe is inspired by my friend Anamika and is easy and simple.
A simple way to make homemade fries
In this method, for 30 minutes, the potatoes are kept in cold water. I actually kept the whole bowl of chopped potatoes in the fridge with cold water. Then drained and dried the potatoes with a towel and later fried twice. Yes, to get those perfect crispy fries you have to fry them twice. You can fry the potatoes once if you want, but they will be less crisp.
After being fried twice, these homemade fries are crispy on the outside and chewy and tender on the inside. like the fries should be.
For best results, use potatoes with a high starch content. Russet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, and Idaho potatoes are a good choice for making crispy but tender fries. Do not use new potatoes or less starchy potatoes.
This chips recipe can also be a Navratri fasting recipe if you use rock salt (sendha namak).
How To Make French Fries
1. Take 1 extra large potato or 2 large potatoes or 3 medium potatoes (315 grams). Rinse well with water then peel the potato.
2. Then cut the potato into slices 1 cm thick. Before slicing, to make a square or rectangular shaped potato, you can remove the top and bottom part of the potato. You can also use a French fries cutter if you have one.
3. Then start cutting them into sticks 1 cm wide.
4. Cut the remaining potato slices into sticks as well.
5. You can also rinse these potato sticks several times in water to remove the starch. In a bowl, take 3.5 cups of cold water and dip the potato sticks in it. Store this bowl outside or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. In a hot and humid climate, store the bowl in the refrigerator.
6. After 30 or 45 minutes, drain the potatoes in a colander.
7. Rinse the potatoes under running water. Drain off any extra water.
8. Then place them on a clean cotton towel.
9. Place the second half of the towel on it and press, pat and dry the potatoes. The potatoes should be completely dried before you start frying them.
First frying – making fries
10. Heat the oil in a wok or pan. Keep the flame on medium. This flame range will depend on the pan heaviness. For a thick pan or wok, keep a medium flame and for a lighter pan, use a medium-low flame. The oil should have medium-low heat or have a temperature of 130 to 135 degrees Celsius.
11. Now add the potatoes to the oil. You can fry in two to three batches. I fried in two batches. Do not overload the wok (kadai) or pan.
12. Start frying them.
13. Stir often while frying for even cooking.
14. Fry until the potatoes are cooked, but they should not brown on the outside. They should just have a crust on the outside with no major color change. a slight browning of the edges is fine. Remove with a slotted spoon.
15. Place the fried potato halves on paper towels. Stack 3 to 4 paper towels. Also press down on paper towels from the top to soak up the extra oil. Let the fried potato halves cool down to room temperature. You can fry the second batch of potatoes after removing this batch. The first batch will cool by the time you fry the second batch of potatoes. So, in the same oil, you can fry the first half-fried potatoes batch.
Second frying – making fries
16. Now increase the flame to a medium-high or high level. Again here for a heavy pot use a high flame and for a less heavy pot use a medium-high flame. The oil should be hot and over medium to medium-high heat with a temperature of 180 to 185 degrees Celsius.
17. Add the fried potato halves in hot oil.
18. Stirring often begins to fry the potatoes.
19. Fry the fries until crispy and golden.
20. Remove finger chips with a slotted spoon.
21. Place the fries on paper tissues again to remove the extra oil.
22. While still hot, take the fries in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, paprika or red pepper flakes, dried herbs or dry rosemary or you can add your choice of herbs and spices.
23. Gently shake and mix the bowl so that the salt, herbs, etc. mix well with the chips.
24. Serve the fries hot with a dip or sauce of your choice. Here I served these crispy chips with sriracha sauce.