Christmas pudding is a type of sweet steamed pudding served on Christmas day as part of the traditional festive dinner. Finish off your festive feast with this traditional favourite – a moist steamed Christmas pudding filled with sweet fruit flavours and a hint of brandy.
INGREDIENTS Fruit-Packed Christmas Pudding
- Melted butter, to grease
- 375g dried mixed fruit
- 75g Coles glace cherries, quartered
- 75g dried figs, chopped
- 75g dried pears, chopped
- 75g dried cranberries
- 75g pitted dried dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- Custard, ice-cream
How to Make Fruit-Packed Christmas Pudding
- Combine the dried fruit, cherries, figs, pears, cranberries, dates, orange rind and juice in a pan and cook for 10 minutes. After heating cool them for 30 minutes. Add brandy.
- Now mix flours, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg into a large bowl. Add fruit mixture, butter, brown sugar and eggs and stir untill combine properly. Now put mixture into prepared pudding steamer, smooth top, and secure the lid.
- Place pudding basin into a large pan. Pour in enough boiling water to combine halfway up the side of the pan. Place over medium heat and bring to the boil. Cook, covered, topping up with extra boiling water if necessary, for 5 hours or until a knife inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- Remove steamer from and pan, and serve into serving plate. Serve immediately with custard, ice-cream or brandy butter, if desired.