Gelato is a popular frozen dessert of Italian origin. It is generally made from milk and sugar. It is generally less fatty than other styles of frozen desserts.
Ingredients of Gelato
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- half cup sugar
- Different colours for decoration
How To Make Gelato
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and cream. Heat until the foam forms around the edges.
- Remove from fire. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until fluffy. Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to a saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture gels slightly and coats the back of the spoon.
- If small pieces of eggs begin to appear, remove from heat immediately. Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a sealed container and freeze until firm.
- If the ice is too firm, place it in the refrigerator until it reaches the desired consistency.