“A Greek favorite that makes everyone think you are a master chef and is sooo easy to make!! I taught a Greek friend how to make apple pie and she taught me this fabulous recipe. ”
INGREDIENTS of Greek Baklava
- For the syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the filling
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped but not pulverized
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (8 oz), melted
For the pastry
- 1/2 pound phyllo dough
DIRECTIONS of Greek Baklava
Make the syrup
- 1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened and reduced, about 12 minutes. Set aside at room temperature until ready to use. (The syrup should be at room temperature and still pourable when ready to use; if cooled too much, reheat slightly.)
Make the filling
- 2. In a bowl, combine the nuts, cinnamon and sugar. Put aside.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 350 °. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with butter.
- 4. Place a layer of phyllo dough at the bottom of the dish, cover with another layer and brush the top with butter. Add another layer (2 leaves), brushing the top with butter, then another layer, brushing the top with butter, until you have a stack of 6 leaves high. Distribute 1/3 of the filling evenly over the phyllo dough.
- 5. Spread and butter 6 other leaves in the same way. Spread another 1/3 of the filling on top. Spread and butter other leaves in the same way and spread with the last third of the filling, so that you end up with 3 layers of nuts.
- 6. Garnish the last layer of walnuts with the 6 remaining fillo leaves, buttering them as above. Brush the upper layer of fillo with butter.
- 7. With a sharp knife, cut through all of the layers to the bottom of the pan, making 16 to 18 diamonds or 1 1/2 inch square sections.Bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Pour the rest of the butter over the top and continue to cook until pale golden and crisp, about 25 minutes.
- 8. Remove and set aside for 5 minutes, until it no longer sizzles. While it is still hot, tilt the pan and pour the excess butter. Pour the syrup between the cups and on the edges of the sections, taking care to avoid the top otherwise it will become soggy. Set aside at room temperature until completely cooled.
- 9. To serve, lift the pieces as directed. Serve immediately or cover and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.