So what’s the best thing about making pizza at home? You can choose the thickness or the smoothness of your crust. You can have as many or fewer toppings as you want. And finally, cheese! Different types of cheese and how much you want. You don’t have to wait for your pizza to be delivered, you smell like cardboard with not-so-melting cheese, but you can make your own homemade pan pizza very easily.
For the past few years I have made my pizzas at home and my most favorite is this thin crust Margherita pizza – best tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves. But everyone is not a fan of thin crust pizzas. When you crave that thick, yet soft and spongy pizza base, you would need a homemade pan pizza recipe and that’s it!
I wanted so badly to get that proper edge and crust on the edges of my pan pizza and had tried it for quite some time. There’s no denying that a hand-tossed pizza gives the best results ever, rather than a wrap. For that perfect rim, I just started making little bumps all around the edges resulting in that slightly raised rim. The choice of vegetables is completely optional and I used onions, peppers, sweet corn and tomatoes with lots of mozzarella cheese. It was so delicious, better than any restaurant ever!
For the pizza dough –
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- Instant active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
For the pizza –
- 4 tbsp Pizza Sauce
- Vegetarian toppings (onion, bell pepper, sweet corn and tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese (or as needed)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Dried mixed Italian herbs (for garnish)
- Dried chilli flakes (for garnish)
- In a bowl, dissolve the sugar in lukewarm water. Add the active instant dry yeast and mix well. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes until doubled and frothy.
- Add all-purpose flour with salt and olive oil. Mix everything well.
- Knead the dough until soft and supple, about 3 to 5 minutes. Place it in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for about an hour until it doubles in size.
- Lightly strike the yeast dough and knead it again for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts and take a dough ball. Pat it on a sprinkled aluminum foil in a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Leaving about 1/2 inch around the edge, start making bumps to form a rim.
- Pour a few drops of olive oil on top and add a tbsp. of pizza sauce, spread evenly except for the edge.
- Then add a layer of evenly grated mozzarella cheese, then top with vegetables, then cheese again.
- Bake the pizza pan in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the edges are golden.
- Serve hot immediately with mixed dried Italian herbs and chili flakes on top.