Injipuli is a dark brown sweet-sour and spicy Keralite curry made of ginger, tamarind, green chillies and jaggery. It is also a part of Tamil Nadu cuisine. It is also known as puli inji in some parts of Kerala, South India.
Ingredients of Injipuli Curry
- 1 cup tamarind water
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 2 tsp Green Chillies , chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Methi Seeds
- 1/4 tspn Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 tsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
How To Make Injipuli Curry
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Stir in the asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies.
- Add the turmeric powder, tamarind extract, red chilli powder, jaggery and salt to taste.
- Allow the puli inii mixture to come to boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer the the puli inji for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and check the salt and adjust to taste accordingly.
- The Puli Inji can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.