I picked up this recipe when I lived in Italy; everyone loves it. Thought it was time to share!
Ingredients of Italian Pasta Sauce
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans tomatoes in puree
- 3 cans tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Hot cooked pasta
How to Prepare Italian Pasta Sauce
- Cook beef in 2 batches over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Cook sausage over medium heat for 10 min. drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender.
- Return the beef and sausage to the pan.
- Add all ingredients, including allspice if desired, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until sauce reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally, 2-3 hours.
- Serve over pasta.