If you’re looking to add some spice to brighten up your meal, then this super quick and easy Low Syn Jerk Chicken recipe is just the thing! It’s a great recipe for the whole family, and perfect for the Slimming World Extra Easy Plan!
- PREP TIME-15 minutes
- COOK TIME-40 minutes
- TOTAL TIME-55 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN
- 1kg/2.25lbs of chicken portions of choice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 sliced scotch bonnet peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp of freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup/60ml soy sauce
- 1/4 cup/60ml white wine or apple cider vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- Juice of one orange
- 1/4 cup of water
FOR THE RICE AND PEAS
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup of tinned kidney beans
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup of light coconut milk (7 syns)
- 1 cup of water
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp of thyme
Also Read: Knödel Recipe
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN
- Chop the onions, garlic and peppers.
- Add the onions, garlic and peppers to a blender, along with all the other ingredients except the chicken.
- Mix to make the marinade Add half of the marinade to the chicken in a dish and keep the other half for basting while cooking.
- Leave chicken in the fridge to marinate for one night.
- Preheat the oven to 200c or 400f Place the chicken in a roasting pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Brush regularly with part of the remaining marinade during cooking.
FOR THE RICE AND PEAS
- Crush the garlic and add to 1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the red beans, coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mixture.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat until almost all the liquid is absorbed, turn off the heat, but leave the lid on the rice for about 10 minutes, so that the trapped steam below continues to cook the rice.
- Serve Jamaican chicken with rice and peas and a mixed salad of lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, Whole30, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly.