Kairiche lonche is a traditional recipe. It’s really awesome. It is a perfect side dish. Any household has mango pickles. As it is the raw mango season, let’s prepare this tangy and delicious mango pickle.
Ingredients of Kairiche Lonche – Marathi(pickle)
- 3 Raw mangoes
- 1 small katori Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- A little Cinnamon
- 4~5 Cloves
- 6~7 Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 small katori Salt
- 1 small katori split mustard seeds
- 1 bowl Oil
Also Read: Prawn Shashlik
Method of Kairiche Lonche – Marathi(pickle)
- Wash the mangoes really well and wipe them with a clean, dry cloth.
- Raw mangoes should dry completely. Cut them into large pieces.
- Take the oil in a saucepan and heat it very well to remove any impurities.
- Turn off the gas and leave the pan aside for a while.
- Heat another pan and add the cinnamon, crackles, peppercorns and heat them a little for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
- Don’t roast the spices too much.
- When the spices start to release the aroma, turn off the gas and add the fenugreek seeds to the hot pan.
- Heat the fenugreek seeds with other spices in a hot pan for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take out the roast in a mortar and pestle and let it cool down a bit.
- In the same skillet, add the salt and roast over low heat for about 4-5 minutes to remove any impurities.
- This helps keep pickles longer. Keep the pan aside.
- When the oil has cooled, add the turmeric powder, mix and mix well. Keep the pan aside.
- When the roasted whole spices are cool, crush them into a powder. You can use the blender for mixing.
- Take out the crushed masala in a bowl. Add the red pepper powder, salt and mix well.
- Take the chopped raw mangoes and add the dry masala.
- Mix everything well. The raw mango should get a nice layer of masala. Add the oil and mix well. Take a glass jar and wash it really well.
- Keep this jar under the hot sun to dry completely to sterilize. Transfer the pickle to the glass jar.
- First fill the pieces with raw mango then add the oil or masala so as to cover them. The raw mango should float in the oil.
- Close the lid and keep the bottle in the sun for about 10-15 days to marinate.
- You can cover the glass bottle with a clean cotton cloth, then close the lid. Do not open the lid until the pickle has completely marinated.
- If you live outside India, keep the bottle of pickles in a dry but warm place to marinate.
- When buying raw mangoes, choose hard raw mangoes and not tender mangoes.
- These can end up roasting and releasing their bitterness in pickles.