Kathal Ka Achar (Jack Fruit Pickle) is very delicious and my favorite. The pickle is made during the summer because it is the season in India where the jackfruit is available in abundance. This pickle is made from raw jackfruit. A good mix of spices and unripe mango is used to make this pickle sour and spicy. Store in a dry, clean bottle and it will last 6 months or even a year. This pickle is best eaten with paratha, roti or even rice.
INGREDIENTS of Kathal Ka Achar (Jack Fruit Pickle)
- 1 kg Jack fruit cut
- 2 medium mangos chopped into small pieces
- 50 grams red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
- 150 grams salt
- 1 tablespoon sauf (fennel)
- ½ teaspoon methi (fenugreek)
- 100 grams yellow sarson powder (mustard)
- ½ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 300 ml mustard oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar
Method of Kathal Ka Achar (Jack Fruit Pickle)
- Bring lots of water to a boil. Add salt and a pinch of haldi and jackfruit.
- Boil for 5 to 7 minutes. The jackfruit must be a little firm, so as not to be fully cooked.
- Spread on the towel under the fan for 1 hour.
- Dry roast the sausage and methi and make powder.
- Transfer the jackfruit to a large bowl, add the chopped mango.
- Add all the spices in the jackfruit except the hinge.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the hinge and pour over the masala.
- Add the rest of the oil and vinegar.
- Give it a good mix. Cover and set aside.
- Stir these or twice for 3 days.
- Store into a clean glass jar and store.