An American dessert pie, Key Lime Pie made with lime juice, egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk in a pie crust. The traditional Conch version uses egg whites to make a meringue garnish. The dish is named after the small Key limes that are naturalized in the Florida Keys.
- Total: 1 hr 3 min
- Prep: 25 min
- Inactive: 20 min
- Cook: 18 min
Ingredients of Key lime pie(American)
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Finely grated lime zest (1/2 teaspoon)
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Also Read: Blood splatter cake(American)
How to Make Key lime pie(American)
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 325 °. Add the Graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter to a medium bowl. Press the crumbs evenly on the glass pie plate. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Step 2: Whisk the three egg yolks with the whole lightly beaten egg until thickened in a bowl. Stir in condensed milk, then stir in lime juice and zest.
- Step 3: In a large stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the beaten whites in the custard, then fold in the remaining whites. Pour the pastry cream into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until just set.
- Step 4: Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely, then refrigerate overnight. Serve with sweet whipped cream and garnish with lime.