This Khachapuri recipe is a combination of fluffy homemade bread, multiple kinds of cheeses and a runny egg in the center. It’s so cheesy and delicious!
Ingredients of Khachapuri
- For the dough:
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cup Farmers cheese
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 4 eggs + 1 for egg wash
- unsalted butter optional
Also Read: Best Chicken Kiev
Instructions of Khachapuri
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the salt, yeast, sugar and flour. Heat the water and milk to around 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then pour it into the bowl of dry ingredients. Start kneading the dough with the hook until it is almost smooth and elastic.
- Add the oil to the dough and knead for another minute. Pour a little olive oil on the bottom and sides of a deep bowl.
- Place the dough inside the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set the bowl in a warm place until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour. Remove the plastic wrap and press the dough several times with your hands.
- Cover with plastic wrap once more and let sit in a warm place for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the farm cheese, feta and mozzarella in a bowl. Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a floured surface.
- Then cut it into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a circle about 9 inches in diameter. Then roll 2 opposite sides of the circle towards the center so that it ends up having a boat shape. Then pinch the corners together.
- Transfer the khachapuri to a baking sheet lined with greased parchment paper. Stuff each khachapuri with the cheese mixture.
- Beat 1 egg with a teaspoon of water, then brush the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the crust turns golden.
Make a well in the center of each khachapuri with the back of a spoon (about 3 inches in diameter) and drop 1 egg into each well. Then stick a few small pieces of butter into the cheese.
Return the khachapuri to the oven and bake for another 5-6 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on your oven. The egg white should be white but still fairly liquid. It will continue to cook while sitting in the hot cheese. When ready to serve, combine cheese and egg with a fork and serve immediately.