Kolaczki are popular in Poland as well as Czech Republic, Russia, Austria, Denmark, and probably more places.
INGREDIENTS of Kolaczki
FOR THE PASTRY:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 3/4 cup dried apricots (or other dried fruit)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Also Read: Chargrilled aubergines with chermoula
INSTRUCTIONS of Kolaczki
- Cream the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour and salt Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Roll out the dough by first sprinkling the surface (carpet or counter) with sugar Roll to 1/4 inch and cut into 2 inch squares.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each square.
- Fold the opposite corners and close tightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the corners just start to brown Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Add the apricots and the water to a saucepan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar Simmer until the apricots are tender.
- About 15 minutes mash with an immersion blender.