Koulouri is enjoyed by people of all ages around the country and is most popular in Athens. Known as much-loved Greek street food, this round-shaped bread is packed with good carbohydrates and proteins.
Ingredients of Koulouri
- 2 cups of bread flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 cup tepid water
- For the coating
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 2 cups sesame seeds
How to Make Koulouri
- Mix honey with the tepid water and when completely combined, stir in the yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes for it foam.
- Combine the flours and salt, stirring together for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the yeast mixture then beat well for 10 minutes until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer dough, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 2 hours.
- The dough should rise to about double.
- Now dissolve sugar in 2 cups water.
- Spread sesame seeds in a pan.
- Lightly grease kitchen counter and place dough on surface and divide into equal pieces. Roll pieces into balls.
- Knead each ball into a sausage shape, then gently turn ends towards each other to form a circle.
- Dip each ring into the sugar water and then into the sesame seeds.
- Place koulouri on a baking sheet lined with paper and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.