This recipe for roasted stuffed onions is inspired by a popular Lebanese recipe and made vegan with a “meaty” and tasty stuffing that you will love! Try! If you plan to impress your guests with an innovative, healthy and delicious dish, this recipe for roasted vegan stuffed onions is a great choice! These stuffed onions can be eaten as a snack, appetizer or with a side of vegetables, mashed potatoes and even with a vegetable yogurt sauce on top. Do not hesitate to be creative!
Ingredients Of labanese roasted stuffed onions
- 3 large onions
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup soy protein granules soaked
- 1 tomato, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp spring onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp allspice, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 3 Tbsps vinegar or white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
ALSO READ: Middle Eastern Kibbeh
Instructions Of labanese roasted stuffed onions
- Soak the rice in a bowl with water. Fill the water in a pan and bring to a boil. Cut the top and bottom of each onion.
- Also make a side cut from one side of each onion, in the center of the onion, from top to bottom. This will separate the layers of onions when boiling.
- Add the onions to the boiling water and boil them for 10 minutes, until they soften. Drain the rice and add it to a bowl. Add all other ingredients, except onions, vinegar / wine and oil. Mix.
- Once the onions are cooked, drain them and let them cool. Separate the layers and fill each onion with a tablespoon of stuffing.
- Wrap the onion around the stuffing but keep in mind that the rice will increase in size during cooking. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, cut side down. Cook them for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar / wine and cover with a lid. Cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes and turn the onions after the first 10 minutes.