Lahmacun is a thin piece of dough topped with meat, vegetables and herbs including onions, tomatoes and parsley, and spices such as cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin and cinnamon, then baked.
INGREDIENTS Of lahmacun
- 1/2 lb uncooked store-bought organic pizza dough
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cored, cut into chunks
- 1 shallot, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 oz fresh parsley leaves with some stem
- 7 oz ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 tsp smoked peprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges for later
ALSO READ: labanese roasted stuffed onions
INSTRUCTIONS Of lahmacun
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust the oven rack in the middle. (or see the cooker instructions in the notes) Prepare the meat mixture.
- In the large bowl of a food processor with a blade, add the red peppers, the shallot, garlic and parsley. Pulse several times to chop. To the mixture, add ground lamb (or beef). Season with spices and salt.
- Add the tomato paste and extra virgin olive oil. Now pulse again until it is well combined (about 8-10 pulses). Prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal balls (about 2 oz each.) Working with one ball of dough at a time, place it on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into as thin a piece as possible on a disc about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.
- Assemble Lahmacun. Place a disk of flat bread on one of the prepared molds. Reshape as needed. Place 3 to 4 tablespoons of filling on the dough and spread the filling evenly around the edges, leaving a thin boarder.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the dough and the meat are completely cooked (the dough will be a little crispy on the edges).
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining dough. Squeeze a little lemon juice on top. Serve Lahmacun hot or at room temperature.