Laksa is a spicy noodle soup popular in the Peranakan cuisine of Southeast Asia. Laksa consists of thick wheat noodles or rice vermicelli with chicken, prawn or fish, served in spicy soup based on either rich and spicy curry coconut milk.
Ingredients of LAKSA SOUP
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garliuc, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 Thai chilies (minced)
- 1/2 cup laksa paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 package soy puffs
- 4 portions noodles
- 1-3 limes
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 12 large shrimp
- 2 cups bean sprout
Instructions for LAKSA SOUP
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the chicken cooks, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large saucepan or medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the sliced lemongrass and the peppers, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the laksa paste and brown sugar.
- Fry for another 3 minutes, letting all the flavors melt together. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and fish sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Add the puffs of soy, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse the noodles with warm water. Divide among four large bowls of noodles. Shred the cooked chicken and skin and divide among the bowls.
- Pour the juice from the roasting pan into the broth.. Season the broth with lime juice and more fish sauce to taste, until your broth has reached the desired levels of salinity / acidity.
- Meanwhile, mix the minced shallots in the flour until they are lightly coated. In an iron skillet, heat an additional 2 tablespoons of oil. Saute the shallots until crisp and set aside.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and brown them in the same oil you used to cook the shallots, until they are cooked through. To assemble the laksa, pour the broth over the noodles and chicken, and add a few pieces of soy puff to each.
- Garnish with cooked shrimp, bean sprouts, cilantro and fried shallots.
- Serve with additional lime wedges.