“This Greek dessert is made with Greek yogurt, lemon juice and zest, and lots of shredded phyllo pastry. The texture is unique, and you won’t believe how easy it is to make.”
Ingredients of Lemonopita (Greek Lemon Phyllo Cake)
- 350 g water
- 450 g granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- juice from 2 lemons
For lemon pie
- 450 g very thin phyllo dough sheets
- 4 eggs
- 220 g corn oil
- 200 g granulated sugar
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 g Greek strained yogurt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Also Read: Greek Baklava
Method of Lemonopita (Greek Lemon Phyllo Cake)
For the syrup
- Place a saucepan over low heat and add the water, sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon zest, honey and lemon juice.
- As soon as the mixture comes to a boil and the sugar melts, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
For the lemon pie
- Preheat the oven to 100 * C. Crumple the sheets of phyllo dough, one at a time, bringing the two ends together as if they looked like an accordion.
- Transfer the phyllo sheets to a panand place them next to each other. Bake for 1 ½ hours, until they dry.
- When you’re ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool down a bit. Preheat the oven to 170 * C . Rub the dough in the oven between your hands on a bowl to break them into small pieces.
- Add the baking powder and mix. In another bowl, whisk eggs, corn oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract and yogurt until blended.
- Add the pieces of phyllo dough and mix with a wooden spoon until they absorb all the mixture. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and spread it evenly. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden.
- When you’re ready, take it out of the oven and immediately pour the fresh syrup over it. Set aside for 1 to 2 hours until it cools completely.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and lemon zest.