Lentil and Spinach Soup: This hearty soup hosts an abundance of calcium from lentils and spinach. Try it once and you are sure to go for a second helping.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 servings
3/4 cup masoor dal (split red lentil) , washed and drained
1 cup chopped spinach (palak)
2 garlic (lehsun) cloves , crushed
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
whole wheat bread sticks
- Combine the garlic and onions in a pressure cooker and dry roast on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, masoor dal along with 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the purée to a deep pan, add the milk and chilli powder, spinach, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and bring to boil
- Cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Lentil and Spinach Soup is ready to serve hot with whole wheat bread sticks.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||1270.9 mcg||26%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.2 mg||20%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.2 mg||18%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.2 mg||10%|
|Vitamin C||22.1 mg||55%|
|Vitamin E||0.1 mg||1%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||50.6 mcg||25%|