Amaranth is an ancient grain without gluten. And as Palinski-Wade suggests, it’s a great source of protein. Mix with lentils, like in this recipe, for a perfect protein breakfast. Lentils and kale add weight and nutrients, while chipotle vegan aioli sprinkled over them gives them a spicy, smoky, flavorful flavor. Not only are these healthy guys gluten-free, they’re also vegan and low in fat.
ingredients Of Lentils and Amaranth Patties
- • 1 cup red lentils
- • 1 cup amaranth
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 onion,finely diced
- • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- • 2 cups finely chopped kale
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 1 teaspoon chili powder
- • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (this is the binding agent, so don’t leave out)
- • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- • 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- • oil for frying
- Chipotle “aioli”
- • 1 package tofu
- • 1/2 -1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- • 1 teaspoon coriander
- • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- • 3/4 teaspoon salt
- • juice of half a lime
- • 1 garlic clove
Also Read: Oatmeal Protein Pancakes (High Protein)
instructions Of Lentils and Amaranth Patties
- Add the red lentils and amaranth to a saucepan. Cover with water and boil for 15 minutes.
- Place in a fine mesh colander and allow to drain very well, squeezing the liquid. In a large pan, sauté the onion in the oil over medium-high heat for two minutes. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes. Add the finely chopped kale, spices and salt. Add the onion-kale mixture to the lentil and amaranth mixture in a large bowl.
- Stir to mix well. Add the ground flax seeds and add the fresh coriander.
- Let cool. Make aioli. Place all of the Aioli ingredients in a food processor and mix until very smooth, scraping the sides.
- Place in a bowl and set aside. When cold enough to handle, form 2 to 3 inch patties lightly coated with flour and dry amaranth seeds.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes. Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Sear the patties for a few minutes on each side, until golden and place them in a hot oven until they are very hot.
- Serve with chipotle aioli and sprigs of fresh coriander.