Despite being a lighter low-cal option, these lamingtons still taste like a decadent treat.
INGREDIENTS of Louise’s Lighter Lamingtons
- 5 eggs
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated Stevia blend (see tip, below)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 150g (1 3/4 cups) desiccated coconut icing
- 100g dark chocolate (70-80% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 50g (1/2 cup) raw cacao, sifted
- 1 tablespoon granulated Stevia blend
- 250ml (1 cup) milk or boiling water
Also Read: Fried Zucchini( Europeon)
METHOD of Louise’s Lighter Lamingtons
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C forced by fan. Grease the base and sides of a 20 x 30 cm slice pan. Line with parchment paper, allowing the long sides to protrude.
- Use electric beaters to beat eggs, sugar, stevia and vanilla in a bowl over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until they are thick, pale and a ribbon trail form when the beaters are lifted.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture, in 4 batches, folding gently with a large metal spoon, adding the oil with the last batch. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and the cake returns to the touch. Let cool in the mold for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the edges of the cake. Cut into 32 pieces.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients in a heat-resistant bowl. Cook in the microwave on high power, whisking every 30 seconds, for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the coconut in a shallow bowl. Using a fork, dip the base of the lamington in the frosting.
- Holding the fork with the cake in one hand, place the chocolate frosting on the cake to coat the sides. Let the excess icing drip off.
- Roll in coconut to coat, pressing gently to secure. Transfer to the prepared tray.
- Repeat with the rest of the cake. Set aside to take.