Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 servings
Ingredients For Dal makhani
1/2 cup urad (whole black lentil)
1 tbsp rajma (kidney beans)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
3/4 cup fresh tomato pulp
salt to taste
For The Garnish
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
Method To Make Dal makhani
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain.
- Combine the urad dal and rajma and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or till they are overcooked. Whisk well till the urad dal and rajma is almost mashed.
- Add the milk, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add another 2 tbsp of water and the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared urad dal – rajma -milk mixture and little salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Dal makhani is ready. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||229 mcg||5%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.2 mg||20%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.5 mg||4%|
|Vitamin C||13.8 mg||35%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||85 mcg||42%|