Puran Poli is a popular maharashtrian sweet flatbread recipe made with wheat flour and sweetened chana dal stuffing. it is generally made during special occasions or during festival time, but can be made and preserved at any time. it is eaten or served warm with generous amount of ghee.
Ingredients Of Puran Poli
- 1 Cup Chana Dal (washed)
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Nutmeg, grated
For making dough:
- 2 Cups Maida
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Cup Water
How to Make Puran Poli
Prepare Dal Mixture:
- Take Chana dal in a pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook it for about a minute (3-4 whistles).
- Drain the water and mash it coarsely. Now in a pressure cooker pour the mashed dal and add sugar. Mix it thoroughly and cook slowly.
- Add cardamom powder along with grated nutmeg to it and mix thoroughly.
- Continue stirring on low flame until it gets dry.
- Let the mixture cool down.
Also Read: Modak (Maharashtrian)
Prepare the dough:
- Take maida in a bowl.
- Add salt and ghee. Mix well.
- Add sufficient amount of water and make semi-soft dough.
- Wrap the bowl with a plastic sheet or damp cloth and leave it for 30 minutes.
Prepare Puran Poli:
- Make flat balls with the dough as we do for chapatis.
- Sprinkle it with maida flour and roll it into a round shape with a roller.
- Fill the puran (stuffing), then cover the edges. Deploy it again in a round shape.
- Heat the tawa and cook the polished puran on both sides with a lot of ghee.
- Polished Puran is ready to eat.
- Serve it hot with a little poured ghee.