Makai Shorba: Everyone is sure to relish this tempting, Indian-style corn soup. This refreshing soup is a great energiser and will surely establish your culinary skills. Serve hot with garlic bread, to make an absolutely low calorie ‘hearty’ meal.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Serves 2.
1/2 cup sweet corn (makai ke dane)
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 clove (laung / lavang)
25 mm. (1″) stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
2 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 cup carrot cubes
1/2 tsp crushed coriander (dhania) seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
lemon juice to taste
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the clove, cinnamon, peppercorns, bay leaf, onions and garlic and cook till the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, coriander seeds, cumin powder and turmeric powder and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels, 3 cups of water and salt and simmer over a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes, till the corn is cooked.
- Cool completely and make a smooth purée in a blender. Transfer back into a pan.
- Bring to a boil and serve hot with the lemon juice and coriander.
|Value per||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||160.5 mcg||3%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.1 mg||1%|
|Vitamin C||3 mg||8%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||9.6 mcg||5%|