Makhana is additionally an excellent choice for weight watchers because it is low in fat.
Prepare Time: Cook Time: Make In: Makes 5 servings
- 1 cup lotus seeds (makhanas)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 4 1/2 cups low-fat milk , 99.7% fat-free
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute
- a few saffron (kesar) strands
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
For The Garnish
1 tsp pistachio slivers
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the lotus seeds and sauté over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until they become crisp.
- Remove from the flame and mix the lotus seeds in a blender with a coarse mixture. Set aside.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar substitute and coarsely ground lotus seeds, mix well and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the saffron and nutmeg powder, mix well and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The delicious Makhane ki Kheer is ready. Serve immediately garnished with pistachio strips.