Makhmali Kofte Recipe: Vegetarian koftas in a rich gravy. Smooth and soft these koftas are made with khoya, therefore quite rich!
For the koftas:
- 1/2 Cup Firmly packed (100 g) khoya (solidified milk)
- 6 Tbsp Maida
- 1/8 tsp meetha (baking) soda
- Ghee (Clarified butter) for deep-frying
For the gravy:
- 1/4 cup (60 g) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp khus khus (poppy seeds)
- 1/4 cup nariyal ka burada (dessicated coconut)
- 1 Tbsp powdered dhania (coriander seeds)
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp kali mirch (powdered black pepper)
- 2 Tbsp cornflour dissolved in 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp chopped hara dhania (coriander leaves), for garnishing
Prepare the koftas:
1Mash the khoya smooth, so that no grains remain. Mix in the maida and soda and knead it into firm and pliable dough. Shape the dough into marble sized balls that are smooth and creaseless.
Heat the ghee in a kadahi till a piece of dough thrown in comes up at once. Lower the heat and fry a cube of bread till a light brown (this lowers the temperature of the oil).
Lift out the bread and add as many balls as will come in, without touching each other. Keeping the heat low, fry these till a golden brown.
Lift out of the fat and drain. Increase the heat for a few seconds, and then lower it before adding the next lot. Keep the koftas aside, while you make the gravy.
Prepare the gravy:
1Soak khus khus and nariyal in some water for an hour and grind to a paste.
2Heat the ghee in a heavy based pan, and add the jeera. When the seeds splutter, add the ginger and saute till a light brown.
3Add the ground khus-khus and coconut paste, dhaniya, salt, garam masala and the black pepper and saute till the fat separates. Add 3 cups water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
4Add the cornflour solution, simmer for a couple of minutes and add the koftas. Simmer again for 2-3 minutes and serve garnished with the cream and the coriander leaves.