Ghewar is a disc-shaped sweet Traditional Rajasthani Dessert made using special thick metal molds. The texture of this dessert looks like a honeycomb. I guarantee you that every single bite of this scrumptious dessert is a joyride to a wonderland.
FOR THE GHEVAR
- 1/4 cup Ghee Clarified butter
- 1/4 cup Chilled full cream milk
- 2 cups Maida
- 4 and 1/2 cup Water
- 1 pinch Yellow food color
FOR THE SUGAR SYRUP
- 1 and 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 10-12 strands Saffron
- 2-3 Cardamom
FOR THE MALAI RABDI
- 1 lt Full cream milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2-3 drops Kewda essence
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- Dry fruits for garnishing
Direction For Ghevar
- In a bowl, whisk the ghee and milk until light and fluffy. Add the maida and whisk well. Add water and make a liquid paste without lumps. (If lumps form, pass the 4. 4.dough through a soup strainer) Add food coloring and mix well.
- Take a small saucepan (4 inches) and fill halfway with ghee. Heat the ghee over high heat. When the ghee is very hot, pour a ladle of dough at least 1 foot high in the center of the pan at a constant speed and as quickly as possible.
- Don’t let the heat simmer. The batter will stutter a lot. Be very careful at this point. If the dough starts to boil over, stop pouring more dough.
- Allow the bubbles in the ghee to settle. Pour another ladle of dough over the previous dough. Cook for a minute.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times. Make a hole in the center with a skewer. Let the ghevar fry over high heat until golden on top. (it will take time. Don’t be impatient like I did) Remove the ghevar from the ghee using a fork.
- Keep it on a tilted plate so that the extra ghee is removed.
For Sugar Syrup
Heat sugar and water in a pan.
Add saffron and cardamom.
Heat till a one string sugar syrup is formed.
- Heat the milk in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Cook until reduced by half.
- Add the sugar and cardamom powder. Cook until reduced to a quarter.
- Add kewda essence. Ghevar assembly Dip the ghevar in sugar syrup for 10 seconds on each side.
- Remove to a plate with a fork. Pour the malai rabdi on top.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio strips.