In India every festival is celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm and the diversity of the country adds on to the festive mood. No wonder good food and toothsome sweet delights add soul to these festivals. Malai Peda is a North Indian sweet dish.
Ingredients for Malai Peda Recipe
- Whole milk 1 litre
- Saffron (kesar) a few strands
- Milk 4 teaspoons
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Citric acid 2 pinches
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Almonds chopped 4-5
- Pistachios chopped 7-8
Method of Malai Peda
- Bring the milk to a boil in a deep non-stick pan. Cook, stirring continuously, for about twenty minutes, till it reduces to half its original volume.
- Soak the saffron in two teaspoons of warm milk and add to the boiling milk.
- Add the sugar and continue to cook for four to five minutes.
- Mix the citric acid in one tablespoon of water and add gradually to the boiling milk. Cook till the milk curdles slightly.
- Mix the cornflour with the remaining two teaspoons of milk and add to the pan.
- Cook, stirring continuously, for about forty-five minutes till the mixture thickens and resembles khoya.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Divide into sixteen equal portions and shape into round balls.
- Decorate with almonds and pistachios, and serve.