Malai Sandwich is a famous Bengali sweet-dish made from milk, paneer and khoya. This easy dessert recipe is popular during festivals like Durga Puja and Rakshabandhan.
Ingredients of Malai Sandwitch
- Milk: 1/2 litre
- Citric acid crystals: 1/4 tsp
- Sugar: 2 cups
- Water: 3 Cups
- Mava: 50 gms
- Yellow food colour
- Saffron for decoration
How to Make Malai Sandwitch
- Boil milk in pan. Dissolve citric acid crystals in water and add in milk gradually to get soft paneer.
- Once the milk is curdled turn off the flame, add 1 cup of cold water in it and keep covered for 15 minutes.
- put curdled milk into cotton cloth and tie it for about 15 minutes so that the whey gets drained easily.
- Place paneer on a plain surface and knead with hand and chenna becomes soft and creamy.
- Divide the mixture into portions. Make desired shape.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil on high heat in cooker.
- Carefully place chenna in syrup one by one. Close cooker and put whistle. keep on medium flame till 1 whistle and then reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and see that chenna squares will double up in size. Remove squares from the sugar syrup.
- Add remaining 1 cup of sugar in the syrup. Bring it to boil, and cool them 30 min.
- Add squares into the syrup. Keep for around 30 minutes.
- Knead mava and add little bit of sugar syrup and 1 drop of yellow food colour. Knead properly.
- After 30 minutes take the chenna out of the syrup. Squeeze them little and cut them horizontally.
- Apply mava on one half of the square and place the other half on it just like in a sandwich.
- Decorate with saffron strands and cut into triangles.