Throwing a dinner party? How about making this deliciously rich and creamy meringue roulade? The best part is it’s low in fat and gluten free.
Nutrition per portion
- 5 large egg whites
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 25g (1oz) icing sugar, to dust
- 400ml (14fl oz) double cream
- 175g (6oz) mango, chopped
- 4 passion fruits, seeds scooped out
- 10g (¼oz) desiccated coconut, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/300F/Gas 2. Line a 30cm x 20cm (11¾in x 8in) swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper.
- Using an electric whisk whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Whisk in the cornflour.
- Spread out the meringue evenly in the prepared Swiss roll tin and then transfer to the oven to bake for 1 hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper on the work surface and sprinkle with the icing sugar. Carefully turn out the meringue onto the paper and peel away the sheet attached to its base. Carefully flip back over.
- Using the electric whisk whip the cream to soft peaks then spread over the meringue, leaving 1cm border round the edge. Scatter over the mango and passion fruit then spoon over the passion fruit pulp.
- With one of the short ends of the meringue closest to you use the greaseproof paper to carefully roll up into a roulade. Dust with icing sugar and scatter with the desiccated coconut to serve.