Mango salad recipe – a quick salad made from raw mangoes and chopped onions. It’s a sour, tangy and spicy mango salad. “Khatta” or sour-tasting mangoes complete the slight spiciness and sweetness of the onions.
Spices like roasted cumin powder and chili powder also enhance the flavors. A little sugar is also added to balance the acidity of the mangoes. So, the salad is tangy, spicy with a sweet and sweet taste. Plus, this salad could be made in under 20 minutes.
Usually I buy unripe mangoes to make mango pickles. in addition to marinating them, I also make mango rice, aam panna, Aam ka murabba. I also add them to dals or curries on occasion. Raw mangoes are used as an acidifying agent. Example in Goan cuisine, slices of dried mango and even fresh unripe mangoes are added to various curries to impart a sour taste.
This raw mango salad is a Gujarati recipe and given by one of my Gujarati friends. This is how the recipe has been developed at home for ages. The recipe is simple but tasty and goes very well as a side dish with dal-rice, pulao, khichdi and veg pulao. You can also have this kachumber with simple parathas or aloo paratha.
Preparation for making a mango salad recipe
1. Rinse 2 small raw mangoes and dry them with a clean cloth.
2. To peel their skin, use a sharp knife and start chopping. Be careful when chopping raw mangoes.
3. Cut the raw mangoes into cubes. chopped raw mangoes should be about a cup.
4. This is an optional step if you do not have roasted cumin powder. To make roasted cumin powder, roast ½ teaspoon cumin seeds over medium heat until they become aromatic.
5. Turn off the gas. Transfer the toasted cumin seeds to the mortar. Crush and grind to form a coarse powder.
6. Keep all the ingredients ready for making a raw mango salad. We need the following spices for the salad – ½ teaspoon of Kashmiri red pepper powder, 2 teaspoon of sugar, ½ teaspoon of roasted crushed cumin powder and salt to taste. instead of sugar, you can also add jaggery.
Make a mango salad
7. place the chopped mangoes in a mixing bowl or large dish. Add ¼ cup finely chopped onion.
8. Over the chopped mangoes sprinkle Kashmiri red pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, salt and sugar.
9. Mix well with a spoon.
10. Cover and let the mixture sit for 10 to 12 minutes.
11. After a while, the mango salad will leave the moisture.
12. Serve raw mango salad as a side dish with dal-rice, veg pulao, or with your meals. Leftovers can be refrigerated for about a week.