Fancy a pipping hot pizza, fresh out of the oven? Create one at home! Margherita Pizza is to many the true Italian flag. One of the most loved Italian dishes, it just takes a few simple ingredients and you get insanely delicious results! You just can’t go wrong with that tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella combo.
Ingredients of Margherita Pizza
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (90° to 105°)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- One 14-ounce can peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 32 large basil leaves, torn into pieces
Also Read: Almond and Chicken Momos
How to Make Margherita Pizza
- Step 1 In a large bowl, mix the yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water and the sugar and let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of warm water, 4 cups of flour and the kosher salt and stir until a dough will be soft. Turn the dough over on a well floured work surface and knead, adding flour as needed until a silky but soft dough forms. Use a dough scraper to help knead the dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and brush with olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days.
- Step 2 Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface; perforate and divide into 4 pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Rub each ball of oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Cover the balls loosely with plastic wrap and left for 1 hour.
- Stage 3 Meanwhile, place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 °, leaving at least 45 minutes for the stone to heat up. Place the tomatoes in a food mill placed on a medium bowl or beat them in a food processor until they are coarsely chopped. Stir in oregano and 1 tablespoon olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 On a lightly floured surface, stretch a ball of dough into a 13-inch round; transfer to a floured pizza skin, adding flour where the dough sticks. Spread 1/4 cup tomato sauce over the dough to 1 inch from the edge. Spread a quarter of the cheese on the pizza and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Seasoned with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until the bottom is charred and the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Spread a quarter of the basil on top and let stand 3 minutes before serving. Repeat with the rest of the dough and the toppings.